New York Excelsior’s Bang ‘JJoNak’ Sung-hyeon has been awarded the inaugural Overwatch League MVP award.
The NYXL support was named the most valuable player in the entire league for his superfluous Zenyatta play over the course of the season.
The MVP award was decided with some input from the fans, whose votes throughout the season accounted for 25% of the final ballot, while votes from the Overwatch League talent made up the other 75%.
Despite being a support player, a role typically outshone by the more damage-oriented positions in most games, JJoNak has long been a favorite to take the MVP award. He quickly established himself as the best Zenyatta player in the world, and his extraordinary capabilities played a major role in the immense success of New York over the course of the season.
- Read more: LA Gladiators Releases Statement on the Benching of Star Player for Overwatch League Playoff Match
Unlike most Overwatch League players, who had established names for themselves in the likes of OGN’s APEX or Overwatch Contenders prior to joining an OWL team, JJoNak is actually a professional rookie, never having competed professionally prior to joining the New York Excelsior.
Having secured the number one spot in the regular season, the Excelsior has skipped directly to the semi-finals of the playoffs, where they await an opponent. If they win there, they’ll fight for the Overwatch League trophy on home soil, with the grand finals taking place in the Barclays Center in New York on July 27-28.